Water hawthorn (Aponogeton Distachyos)
Water hawthorn (Aponogeton Distachyos) has snowy white flowers which have a sweet, hawthorn like perfume and are produced in the spring. The elongated spear shaped leaves develop from a submerged tuber and are mid green, often developing burgundy coloured blotches with age. Leaves lie on water surface with the flowers standing a few inches proud above the water. Further flowers often appear late throughout the winter.
- We like to say that this is a perfect pairing with lily’s if you are looking for all year round colour. Whereas lily’s flower in summer the water hawthorn flowers when it is cooler giving you early spring flowers and late autumn sometimes into winter given the right weather conditions.
- One of our favourite plants as it is suitable for any sized pond .
- Water hawthorn will tolerate partial shade, and slowly moving water.
- Please note this plant becomes dormant during the summer months starting into growth again in the autumn. We will supply a tuber during this dormant period which can be planted.
- Clumps grow up to 3 feet across after several years, plant in groups to create a more established effect.
- Planting depth 1 to 2 feet.
- These are quite large plants and we recommend planting in a mesh basket of at least 22cm.
- We ship all water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Unlike land Hawthorn, there are NO prickles !
- Contact us if you require more information our team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.