Black sedge (Carex nigra) Native Shallow water plant
Black sedge (Carex nigra), is a native shallow water plant. It has blueish vertical sword-like leaves. The flower-heads that are distinctively black when they emerge and the resulting seed heads are black too. Carex nigra grows from creeping rhizomes from which tufts of upright leaves shoot. Given favourable, in wet, conditions it will spread indefinitely. It is suitable for planting in the margins of a pond lake or stream. It also likes damp boggy wetland areas.
- Also known as Common sedge
- Height 7-70cm (3-30in)
- Can be planted directly into banks or baskets in the margins.
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available Monday to Friday from 08:30am to 16:30pm and also via our email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.