Floating Heart (Nymphoides peltata)
Floating Heart (Nymphoides peltata) is a native pond plant. Attractive heart-shaped mottled foliage and bright yellow fringed flowers floating on the surface like a water lily. Also known as Water Fringe. Spreads quickly across the bottom of the pool so can be difficult to remove from natural ponds. It forms a dense mat and has a quick growth rate providing good surface cover and wildlife habitats. Suitable for growing in ponds and lakes.
- Planting depth 30-60cm (12-24ins) of water above soil level – can grow to 120cm (48ins) when established.
- Position in full sun.
- Flowers in summer.
- Can be controlled by cutting back and dividing once well established.
- Over winter will become dormant. Tuberous rhizomes remain under the water and if these are well submerged will survive over the winter period. Remove any dead foliage from the water.
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available Monday to Friday from 08:30am to 16:30pm and via our email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.