Water Plantain (Alisma Plantago)
Water Plantain (Alisma Plantago) also known as The English Water Plantain is a native species of pond plant. A beautiful plant with attractive clumps of foliage and masses of delicate pale pink or white flowers all summer. The flowers are held on upright stems, each flower has three petals and is attractive to bees and hoverflies. Suitable for planting in the margins of your pond, alongside lakes rivers and streams.
- Also known as ‘Mad Dog Weed’.
- Height 60cm (24 in) approx .
- Planting depth 2cm to 30cm ( 1in to 12in ) of water above soil level.
- Flowers from June to September.
- Cut spent flower stalks back to prevent self seeding.
- The stalks will become woody when dormant these provide good resting spaces and shelter for aquatic insects.
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- Product Code: M0070
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm from Monday to Friday and also via our email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.