Greater Pond Sedge (Carex Riparia)
Greater Pond Sedge (Carex Riparia) Native. This is quite a large sedge and can be over 1 m (39in ) tall. Forms large clumps and has triangular stems with stout upright flower spikes and strap-like shaped. This is a vigorous plant and will spread using its rhizomes and using the wind to spread its seeds. We find many people use this plant a lot for stabilising riverbanks canals and wetland areas. It can be contained in a pond margin by planting in a basket.
- Position in full sun to part shade.
- Planting depth 5cm to 15cm of water.
- Can be planted alongside river banks, canals and wetland areas in permanently moist poorly drained soil.
- Easy to maintain cut back after flowering
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm from Monday to Friday and also via our email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.