Zephyranthes candida (Rain lily)
Zephyranthes candida (Rain lily) also known as Peruvian Swamp Lily is a shallow water marginal pond plant. It is a small plant for late autumn colour, produces beautiful white flowers, crocus like in form with rich bright orange stamens. This plant can also be planted in boggy ground, margins of your ponds and in moist well drained boarders.
Their common name, ‘Rain lily’, comes about because their blooms open following the rain. Many parts of the plant are toxic, so wear gloves when handling them
- Planting depth 0cm to 4cm ( 0 – 2 inches ) below the water.
- Height 15cm to 30cm ( 6 – 12 inches)
- Flowers between late August and late September.
- Plant in a sunny position to partial shade.
- Plant in rich, moist but well-drained soil
- Low Maintenance.
- Planting depth of water above crown: 5-45cm (2-18 ins)
- A heavy feeder will benefit from a slow release fertiliser
- During cold winters mulch for protection or bring indoors.
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm Monday to Friday and via email. Our plant team would be able to help you with any queries you may have.