Hart’s Tongue Fern Large
Hart’s Tongue Fern Large (Asplenium Scolopendrium) is a native moisture loving, evergreen fern which forms a rosette of arching, rich green, strap-shaped fronds 30-75cm in length. The margins of the leaves are often undulate and the tips are pointed.
The spores form conspicuous transverse stripes beneath the fronds. The species name ‘scolopendrium’ comes from the Latin for centipede because the marks on the undersides of the leaves resemble centipedes legs which we find and interesting and unique quality to this plant.
- Harts tongue fern grows in sheltered moist habitats such as woods, on hedge banks, in walls and in ditches and is invaluable for year-round interest amongst shrubs or other shade and moisture-loving perennials.
It grows slowly and also needs little attention apart from annual mulching and tidying in spring.
- The Royal Horticultural Society has given it its Award of Garden Merit (AGM).
- Height 60cm (24in)
- Spread 60cm (24in)
- Product Code: P0032
- Plant in full shade to partial shade in moist fertile well drained soil, water well whist establishing and keep soil moist in hot dry periods this could require additional watering in summer months.
- A hardy herbaceous perennial will come back year after year.
- Needs protection in the spring from slugs and snails you can prune the plant as you notice damage.
- IN winter once the leaves have fallen naturally it is safe to take them off and trim the foliage back.
- We ship all plants bare root, this means that we wash all the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm via telephone Monday to Friday and email outside of these hours we are happy to help with any queries.