Hornwort (Ceratophyllum dermersum)
Native oxygenating plant
This oxygenator, Hornwort (Ceratophyllum dermersum), should be on every pond owner’s list. The stems branch and they are covered in crowded whorls of dark green, feathery leaves. As well as helping to keep the water fresh and healthy this native oxygenating pond plant provides a perfect environment for aquatic wildlife, spawning fish and newts. Helps to provide a healthy underwater ecosystem and easy to maintain.
- Grows in sun or shade and in still or slow-moving water.
- British native plant.
- Does not root therefore it is easy to control. Allow it to grow to fill about a third of your pond and simply remove any excess and put on the compost.
- We supply Hornwort as weighted clumps – simply drop into water.
- As a general guide we would recommended that you use 2 bunches of oxygenator per square metre of surface water
- Note the plant sinks to bottom of pond and over-winters as dormant buds. As the days lengthen and the water warms up in the spring the buds will begin to grow again.
- Planting depth of water 30-90cm (12 to 36 in).
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm via telephone Monday to Friday and email. Outside of these hours we are happy to help with any queries.