Bur Reed (Sparganium erectum)
Bur Reed (Sparganium erectum) is a native, shallow water aquatic perennial. It is a rush like plant leaves to 90cm (36in) high. Producing interesting, prickly, round seedheads. It is a tall striking plant that will add architecture and structure to your garden.
It is a vigorous growing plant so not recommended for small ponds. Can be planted in larger ponds in the margins, at the edges of lakes and streams. Is a good source of food and shelter for wildlife.
- Planting depth 3-5 ins.
- Position in full sun to part shade in the pond margins or permanently wet soil.
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- Care very invasive.
- Cut back older stems in spring.
- A word of caution for potential buyers, the sharp pointed roots of this plant can easily puncture plastic or butyl liners.
- Product Code: M0960
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information.