Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) native Marginal plants
Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria) native Marginal plants. makes a tall wildflower that grows naturally on banks of streams and around ponds. It has strong, upright stems, topped in summer with long, poker-like heads of bright purple-red flowers. This wonderful plant is perfect for pollinators. When in flower purple loosestrife is loved by bees, butterflies and hoverflies due to the long flowering period. It will provide beautiful architectural structure to your pond with its impressive spikes that rise up. Suitable for planting in the margins of your pond, lakes, streams and alongside rivers. You can also plant in moist permanently damp soil such as marshes reed beds and riverbanks.
- Height up to 120cm (48in)
- Place on the pond shelf so that the soil in the basket is 0-5cm below the water surface.
- Can be planted in permanently moist soil.
- Thrives when planted in full sun but will tolerate partial shade.
- Flowers from June through to August and is nectar rich.
- Wildlife friendly.
- Hardy – will lose foliage throughout winter months, its natural form for winter will look like twigs.
- Cut back after flowering in the late autumn to prevent self-seeding or alternatively in early spring to encourage the new growth.
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- Easy to maintain.
- Product Code: M0640
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available Monday to Friday between 08:30am and 16:30pm and also via our email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.