Pickerel Weed (Pontederia cordata)
Pickerel Weed (Pontederia cordata) Is a shallow water, marginal pond plant. Dense terminal spikes of blue flowers top upright stems between July and September. The bright green, heart shaped, leaves are an attractive feature. A highly recommended plant which produces attractive clumps and provides colour and interest until later in the season than many plants. It is suitable for planting in wetlands, ponds, lakes and streams. It is a wildlife friendly plant known for providing shelter to insects and dragonflies and damsel flies like to lay their eggs amoungst the foliage.
Height 120cm (48in).
- Planting depth 10 – 15cm (4″ – 6″) of water above soil level.
- Position in full sun.
- Flowers June to October.
- Wildlife friendly.
- Control the spread of the plant by using a planting basket
- Cut back after flowering.
- Ensure plants crown is submerged during winter. It can survive as long as it does not freeze
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- Product Code: M0770
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. e are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm from Monday to Friday and also via our email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.