Dicksonia antarctica (Soft Tree Fern)
Dicksonia antarctica (Soft Tree Fern) is an evergreen tree fern in mild weather areas, but deciduous in colder areas. It has a stout reddish-brown stem and a terminal rosette of arching deeply divided glossy dark green fronds. The fronds can grow up to 3metres in length. It provided excellent cover and shade for a variety of wildlife .
- Plant outdoors in a moist but well-drained humus-rich soil. Water the stem in hot, dry summers but avoid watering the crown in winter or it being waterlogged.
- Grows slowly to up to 4metres in height, taking 20 – 50 years to reach full height.
- Protect from frost over winter.
- Plant in full shade to partial shade in moist fertile well drained soil, water well whist establishing and keep soil moist in hot dry periods this could require additional watering in summer months.
- A hardy perennial will come back year after year.
- Needs protection in the spring from slugs and snails you can prune the plant as you notice damage.
- In winter once the leaves have fallen naturally it is safe to take them off and trim the foliage back.
- We ship all plants bare root, this means that we wash all the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm via telephone Monday to Friday and email outside of these hours we are happy to help with any queries.