Royal Fern. Osmunda regalis
Royal Fern, Osmunda regalis, is a really impressive native fern well deserving its ‘Royal’ title. It is a robust deciduous fern forming a large clump of erect or arching fronds which turn an attractive red-brown in autumn. Some of the fronds bear clusters of brownish orange spores at their tips and these are so decorative that it is also known as Flowering fern. This hardy, native plant is very versatile. It will grow in most conditions as long as they are kept moist and need little maintenance. Suitable for bog gardens, pondside and damp gardens as well as woodland gardens, beds and boarders.
- Easy to grow in most cool, moist, lightly shaded sites and will also grow in full sun if given plenty of moisture. Useful for very wet sites and will also grow in the shallow water at the edge of the pond. Hence one of the alternative names for this plant is Water Fern.
- RHS Award of Garden Merit
- Height up to 200cm (78in)
- Spread 50 – 100cm (19 – 39in)
- Product code P0034 9cm
- Size small – grown in 9cm pots. Please note the pot will be removed for shipping and the plants sent out bare root ready for potting on into a larger pot or directly into the soil.
- Please note we ship all our plants bareroot, this means we wash all the soil off for shipping. During the summer months we may need to trim foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information we are available between the hours of 08:30 and 16:30 Monday to Friday and also via email. Our team would be happy to help you with any questions and queries.