Dryopteris atrata. The Black Wood Fern
Dryopteris atrata, the Black Wood fern also known as shaggy wood fern is so-called because of the dark, almost black scales covering the black leaf bases and crown. This, when contrasted with the bright green fronds, makes the plants extremely appealing. It has a strong habit of growth and robust leathery leaves the leaflets of which bear serrated margins.
- Plant in moist, well-drained soil, may need additional watering in hot weather.
- A little tidying of the old tired fronds may be required in spring before the new growth.
- Grows in full shade, part to full shade
- Height 90cm ( 35 inches )
- Spread 90cm ( 35 inches )
- For shipping the plants are sent out bare root ready for potting on either into a larger pot or directly into the soil.
- Plant in full shade to partial shade in moist fertile well drained soil, water well whist establishing and keep soil moist in hot dry periods this could require additional watering in summer months.
- A hardy perennial will come back year after year.
- In winter once the leaves have fallen naturally it is safe to take them off and trim the foliage back.
- We ship all plants bare root, this means that we wash all the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm via telephone Monday to Friday and email outside of these hours we are happy to help with any queries.