Japanese Clematis Variegated Iris
Japanese Clematis Variegated Iris (Iris ensata Kaempferi Variegata ) moisture loving . The flowers are deep purple with a reddish sheen , the falls are cerise ,and flushed with deep purple colour . The leaves are sword shaped and stripped with creamy white. A beautiful addition to any garden . It encourages insect into your pond habitat providing shelter for insects such as such as dragonflies.
This iris will grow to 80 cm ( 31 inches ) when mature and spread to 50cm (20in) when mature. Flowers from May to June
- It likes moist but not waterlogged soil.
- Plant in full sun to partial shade around the shallow edges of your pond or on very shallow planting shelves they prefer moist boggy soil. They may require additional water during hot summer months.
- Cut back after flowering. Leave the old foliage on as it will gather nutrients and feed the roots during winter. You can remove in early spring taking care not to damage any new growth.
- Note – toxic if eaten, May cause skin irritation or allergy
- Marginal pond plant
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm via telephone Monday to Friday and email outside of these hours we are happy to help with any queries.