River Pumpkin (Gunnera perpensa)
River Pumpkin, Gunnera perpensa is a moisture loving plant. It forms a mound of large, bluish green leaves. The many small, pink, flowers grow on slender spikes held above the kidney shaped leaves. The leaf margins are toothed and the undersides of the leaves have prominent veins. Grown in 9cm pots.
- Grow in wet or boggy soil and shelter from cold, drying winds.
- Hardy through most of UK, it will withstand temperatures down to -10 C (14 F). Protect crowns in cold or exposed areas and also in very cold winters.
- Position – full sun or partial shade.
- Height 75cm (30in)
- Herbaceous, perennial.
- The Gunnera genus has been around for 95 million years so might have been food for dinosaurs!
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 11cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root; this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information, we are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm and also via email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.