Hornwort (Ceratophyllum dermersum) half bags
Hornwort (Ceratophyllum dermersum) half bags. A British native oxygenating pond plant and is sold as loose strands in half bags.
- This oxygenator, Hornwort (Ceratophyllum dermersum) should be on every pond owners list. The stems branch and they are covered in crowded whorls of dark green, feathery leaves.
- As a result hornwort helps to keep the water fresh and healthy this native oxygenating pond plant provides a perfect environment for wildlife and spawning fish as well as protecting small frogs and other animals.
- It grows in sun or part shade and in still or slow moving water.
- As a general guide we would recommended that you use 2 bunches of oxygenator per square metre of surface water
- It does not root but drifts around therefore it is easy to control. Allow it to grow to fill about a third of your pond and simply remove any excess and put on the compost.
- We supply Hornwort loose in a bag, you can either be bunched yourself or free float it in the pond.
- This is the equivalent to about 20 to 25 bunches based on 5 strands of hornwort in each bunch.
- Note the plant sinks to bottom of pond and over-winters as dark dormant buds. As the days lengthen and the water warms up in the spring the buds will begin to grow again.
- Planting depth of water 30-90cm (12 to 36 in).
- Or simply throw it straight in the pond it will sink over time.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm Monday to Friday and also via our email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.