Sweet Flag (Acorus Calamus)
Acorus Calamus (Sweet Flag) is a marginal (shallow) water plant which has erect, long, glossy sword shaped leaves. The bright green leaves are also aromatic having an aroma of tangerines when crushed. These have a distinct midrib and part of one edge is crinkly. Acorus calamus flowers from May to July, the unusual flower is a conical spadix that resembles a small horn.
- The rhizomatous root grows shallowly across the soil and therefore we would recommend planting in a wide basket to allow room for growth.
- Grow at pond margins in full sun.
- Grows to 60cm – 90cm (24 – 36 in) in height.
- Planting depth 7cm – 15cm (3in – 6 in).
- We would recommend a planting basket of at least 19cm across for one plant or, for more impact, plant several of the same variety in a larger basket.
- We ship all marginal water plants bare root, this means that we wash the soil off before packing plants. During the summer months we may need to trim some of the foliage back for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available between 08:30am and 16:30pm from Monday to Friday and via our email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.