Hart’s Tongue Fern (Asplenium Scolopendrium)
Hart’s Tongue Fern (Asplenium Scolopendrium) is a native moisture loving plant. An evergreen fern which forms a rosette of arching, rich green, strap-shaped fronds 30-75cm in length which uncurl to show the beautiful new bright green growth. The margins of the leaves are often undulate and the tips are pointed.
The spores form conspicuous transverse stripes beneath the fronds. The species name ‘scolopendrium’ comes from the Latin for centipede because the marks on the undersides of the leaves resemble centipedes legs and we quite like the unusual character of this wonderful plant.
- Harts tongue fern grows in sheltered moist habitats such as woods, on hedge banks, in walls and in ditches and is invaluable for year-round interest amongst shrubs or other shade and moisture-loving perennials.
It grows slowly and also needs little attention apart from annual mulching and tidying in spring.
- The Royal Horticultural Society has given it its Award of Garden Merit (AGM).
- Height 60cm (24in) when mature.
- Spread 60cm (24in) when mature.
- Product Code: P0032
- We ship all of our plants bare root. This means that we wash the soil of the roots before sending them. During the summer months we may need to trim back some foliage for shipping.
- Contact us if you require more information. We are available from Monday to Friday from 08:30am to 16:30pm and also via our email. Our plant team will be happy to help with any queries you may have.